Saturday, March 1, 2008

New McGill Punches used on Wood Block











After attending my 9th CHA (Craft and Hobby Association) Trade Show in Anaheim,CA, I had so many projects & ideas that I wanted to share, so I decided to start this blog. I will try to share new ideas & techniques (and include pictures whenever possible). I often have people ask me how some project are done, so this will be a good place to share.





Here is a project that I made using a wood block (you could use a paper mache block as well).


1. Use Tim Holtz's Distress Ink on the edges of the block. Then, I covered the sides with printed paper.



2. Glue pieces of printed paper on each side of the block, leaving a little bit of the edge showing (see pictures).



3. Use McGill's Heirloom Hearts Punch and Keyhole Plates Punch on various printed cardstock and then glue to the block. These punches are very fun to use and I have found that there are many different patterns that you can make with them. (See some of the possibilities pictured above.)



4. Embellish with rub ons (or stickers or rubber stamps).




You can use it as a decoration for your desk or add a nice sentiment and give it away as a gift.


Here are the other sides of the block.








You can find these punches on my web site at:
or in my eBay store at:






4 comments:

Kuma's Mom said...

Hi Deb!

This is all so exciting to be the first to comment on your brand new blog! I loved the instructions of your work as I learn along the way - for example, I would love to know more about the Holz distressed ink you used - how and when you would determine to use and the inks characteristics - it's a beautiful match to the samples on your blog site.

Thanks!

Marsh

Deb C. said...

Marsh,
I did the project at the convention, at a make-and-take table, so I'm not sure if I remember the color exactly, but I think it may have been Walnut Stain Distress Ink that I used on the block. However, I think the choice of ink color depends on the colors of paper that you plan to use. I would just pick one that would accent the papers nicely.
Thanks for your nice comments!

Kuma's Mom said...

Hi Deb,

Thanks for your reply - I wondered about how the distressed ink itself was used and under what conditions, looks, composition, i.e., is it a difficult ink to use? What kind of paper would be best? Is the distressed ink to give the project an "antique" look? What image does one walk away with having seen the ink on a project? The distressed ink gives a project a nice "texture" and I just wondered how I might incorporate or think about using the ink.

Thanks Deb!

Deb C. said...

The distressed ink gives an aged, antiqued look. The paper doesn't matter too much. An additional way to get it to look aged is to crumple the paper and then use the direct-to-paper technique with the distressed ink.